Course with SWS 0/2/0 (lecture/exercise/practical) in SS 2018
- Term paper
- Seminar presentation
Existential Rules are a knowledge representation formalism used in artificial intelligence and database theory. Their syntactic flexibility enables an easy integration of both semantic knowledge and databases. Syntactically close to Datalog rules, an important distinguishing feature is the possibility to describe individuals whose existence was not originally known, which is of great help for modeling purposes. On this seminar, we will discuss the limits of the expressivity of existential rules, as well as several existing techniques to effectively reason over decidable fragments of this language.
If interested, we can provide seminar attendees with follow-up research-related tasks that may be later developed into master's or bachelor's theses, and/or publications.
Schedule and Location
The weekly lecture session will take place on Wednesdays DS3 in room APB/E005.
Students will be required to produce an extended summary of a self-selected research paper (see the "Literature" tab) and then do a presentation on this work.
ContactPlease, feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.
- Benchmarking the Chase (https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/boris.motik/pubs/bkmmpst17becnhmarking-chase.pdf)
- Column-Oriented Datalog Materialization for Large Knowledge Graphs (https://iccl.inf.tu-dresden.de/w/images/1/1c/Vlog-datalog-materialization-aaai2016.pdf)
- RDFox: A Highly-Scalable RDF Store (https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/boris.motik/pubs/npmhwb15RDFox-scalable.pdf)
- Acyclicity Conditions and their Application to Query Answering in Description Logics (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5141/ad75d24c675a51acb7f9e996af8f8eca93ec.pdf)
- Logic on MARS: Ontologies for Generalised Property Graphs (https://iccl.inf.tu-dresden.de/w/images/f/f8/Marx-Kroetzsch-Thost-Logic-on-MARS-Ontologies-for-Generalised-Property-Graphs.pdf)
- The Combined Approach to Query Answering DL-Lite (https://www.aaai.org/ocs/index.php/KR/KR2010/paper/viewFile/1282/1625)
- Expressiveness of Guarded Existential Rule Languages (https://iccl.inf.tu-dresden.de/w/images/5/5e/GRS2014.pdf)
- Taming the Infinite Chase: Query Answering under Expressive Relational Constraint (https://www.jair.org/media/3873/live-3873-7375-jair.pdf)