Seminar Data-Aware Processes
Seminar Data-Aware Processes
Lehrveranstaltung mit SWS 0/2/0 (Vorlesung/Übung/Praktikum) in SS 2021
- We'll be using TU-Dresden's Matrix server for further communication: #data-awareness:tu-dresden.de
- The final report is due on August 15, 2021 at 23:59 (AoE)
Modern system architectures are composed of at least two components, one handling control flow and one that is concerned with the data used by the application. For a long time, control flow modeling and analysis have been studied in the separation of external systems managing data. Often only basic data types have been covered if any. Conversely, data analysis is carried out for very simple tasks, not reflecting complex and often distributed control flow interferences. Especially current data-intensive applications (e.g., machine learning) require integration of both worlds.
In this seminar we will be concerned with recent research contributions, that provide integrated methods and tools for (distributed) systems combined with more sophisticated data sources than core data types can provide. We offer a variety of topics, ranging from conceptual and modeling aspects to analysis, such as formal verification. In each branch, we are going to discuss whether the effort of the combination provides actual benefits over the techniques that are commonly used when only considering control flow and data in separation.
Concrete topics will be assigned during the introductory sessions, based on the thematic tendency of each participant.
Schedule and Location
The introductory sessions will take place on Tuesdays DS5 (14:50 to 16:20), most likely virtually. Please check "Dates and Materials" for further details and links to the virtual rooms. From April 27, I'm offering an office hour on Tuesdays DS5.
Upon interest, we can provide seminar attendees with follow-up research-related tasks that may be later developed into master's or bachelor's theses, and/or publications.
ContactPlease, feel free to send me an email if you have any further questions.
Reader for Everybody (Contents of 2nd Session)
- Diego Calvanese, Giuseppe De Giacomo, and Marco Montali. 2013. Foundations of data-aware process analysis: a database theory perspective. In Proceedings of the 32nd ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGAI symposium on Principles of database systems (PODS '13). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 1–12.
Some of the papers cited in this work are available as a topic for yourself.
- Richard Hull, Michael Benedikt, Vassilis Christophides, and Jianwen Su. 2003. E-services: a look behind the curtain. In Proceedings of the twenty-second ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART symposium on Principles of database systems (PODS '03). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 1–14.
- Moshe Vardi. 2005. Model Checking for Database Theoreticians. ICDT 2005
- Victor Vianu. 2009. Automatic verification of database-driven systems: a new frontier. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT '09). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 1–13.
- Serge Abiteboul, Victor Vianu, Brad Fordham, and Yelena Yesha. 2000. Relational Transducers for Electronic Commerce. J. Comput. Syst. Sci. 61, 2 (Oct. 2000), 236–269.
- B. Bagheri Hariri, D. Calvanese, M. Montali, G. De Giacomo, R. De Masellis, and P. Felli. 2013. Description Logic Knowledge and Action Bases. JAIR
- M. Montali and A. Rivkin, DB-Nets: On the Marriage of Colored Petri Nets and Relational Databases. in Transactions on Petri Nets and Other Models of Concurrency XII, M. Koutny, J. Kleijn, and W. Penczek, Eds. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 2017, pp. 91–118.
- Francesco Belardinelli, Alessio Lomuscio, and Fabio Patrizi. 2012. An Abstraction Technique for the Verification of Artifact-Centric Systems. AAAI 2012.
- Elio Damaggio, Alin Deutsch, Richard Hull, and Victor Vianu. 2011. Automatic Verification of Data-Centric Business Processes. BPM 2011.
- M. Montali and D. Calvanese, Soundness of data-aware, case-centric processes, Int J Softw Tools Technol Transfer, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 535–558, Oct. 2016.
- D. Calvanese, S. Ghilardi, A. Gianola, M. Montali, and A. Rivkin, SMT-based verification of data-aware processes: a model-theoretic approach, Math. Struct. Comp. Sci., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 271–313, Mar. 2020.
- D. Calvanese, S. Ghilardi, A. Gianola, M. Montali, and A. Rivkin, From Model Completeness to Verification of Data Aware Processes. in Description Logic, Theory Combination, and All That: Essays Dedicated to Franz Baader on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday, C. Lutz, U. Sattler, C. Tinelli, A.-Y. Turhan, and F. Wolter, Eds. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2019, pp. 212–239.
- Mikołaj Bojańczyk, Claire David, Anca Muscholl, Thomas Schwentick, and Luc Segoufin. 2011. Two-variable logic on data words. ACM Trans. Comput. Logic 12, 4, Article 27 (July 2011), 26 pages.
- Mikołaj Bojańczyk and Thomas Place. 2012. Toward model theory with data values. In Proceedings of the 39th international colloquium conference on Automata, Languages, and Programming - Volume Part II (ICALP'12). Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 116–127.
|Seminar||Kickoff Meeting||DS5, 13. April 2021 in Videokonferenz||Datei|
|Seminar||Topic Overview||DS5, 20. April 2021 in Videokonferenz||Datei|
|Seminar||How/What (Not) to Present? - Discussion Session||DS5, 27. April 2021 in Videokonferenz|
|Seminar||Relational Transducers / Artifact-Centric Business Processes||DS5, 13. Juli 2021 in Videokonferenz|
|Seminar||Verification of Relational Artifacts/Data-Centric Business Processes||DS5, 20. Juli 2021 in Videokonferenz|